05 Sep Opening of the Community Centre – Tuesday, September 5 and Wednesday September 6, 2023
For residents seeking an air-conditioned refuge from the heat, the the Stephen F. Shaar Community Centre, 394 Main Road, will be open from 1 pm to 4:30 pm on Tuesday, September 5th, and from 9 am to 4:30 pm on Wednesday, September 6th.
The Town strongly encourages high-risk individuals, such as seniors, young children and people with chronic conditions, to take advantage of these measures during the next few days.
An update will be issued if the heat wave continues beyond Wednesday, September 6th.
Note that humidex values will approach or exceed 40 degrees. It is, therefore, essential to follow the following guidelines:
- Spend at least 2 hours a day in a cool or air-conditioned area;
- Drink plenty of water before you feel thirsty;
- Reduce physical effort;
- Take a shower or bath as often as needed or cool off with a damp towel;
- Keep in contact with friends and loved ones, especially elderly friends and relatives who live alone;
- Monitor the general condition of children, have them drink often, and never leave a child in a car or poorly ventilated room. The same instructions apply to your pets;
- If you feel unwell, contact a doctor or call Info-Santé at 8-1-1.